Canberra Rifle Club is the city’s oldest surviving sporting body. It can trace its conception to a report in The Queanbeyan Age newspaper of 6 May 1913 that “there was a representative gathering of riflemen at the residence of Mr Hector McIntosh, Canberra, on Saturday last, to discuss the proposal of forming a rifle club at that place…”
Previous rifle ranges were located at the present sites of the Black Mountain Peninsula Picnic Grounds and the Mt Ainslie Summit Road.
The Club’s present facilities, located in the Majura Valley, were opened in September 1969. It is named the McIntosh Rifle Range after Jim McIntosh OAM (1913-2003) the Canberra pioneer family that has been closely associated with the Club since its formation.
In 1972, the McIntosh Rifle Range became the venue for the National Queen’s Prize Shoot, which is conducted annually by the National Rifle Association of Australia.
In 2000, the Canberra Rifle Club Incorporated trading as the Australian Capital Territory Full Bore Target Rifle attained ‘statehood’ under the National Rifle Association of Australia.
In 2001, the Bungendore Rifle Club, which operates from the McIntosh Rifle Range, became an Affiliate of the Australian Capital Territory Full Bore Target Rifle.
In 2004 the Canberra Rifle Club together with the Bungendore Rifle Club ran the inaugural Canberra Queens Prize meeting.